For almost thirty years, Pat Rogers has practiced in the areas of commercial and contract litigation, trusts and estate litigation, administrative law, regulatory practice and government relations. Pat has represented businesses and individuals in their lawsuits, appeals, mediations, arbitrations, regulatory proceedings and negotiations.
In the past year Pat was in court for over twenty-five days in various jury and bench trials. He has successfully tried cases throughout the federal and state court systems, including administrative, district court and appellate courts. Pat is admitted to practice before all state courts, the Federal District Court, the U. S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, the Federal Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. Pat has represented multi-national corporations, small businesses and individuals including Verizon, San Juan Coal Company, The Gallup Independent, David Letterman, the New Mexico George Bush Presidential Campaigns, presidential candidate Ralph Nadar, the New Mexico Republican Party, and Susana Martinez for Governor Committee.
Best Lawyers of America® has recognized Pat in the areas of Commercial Litigation; Litigation-Trusts & Estates; Litigation-Land Use and Zoning; Administrative/Regulatory Law; Government Relations Practice; and Litigation- First Amendment. Pat is rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating possible based on a peer review; and recognized by Southwest Super Lawyers®.
Prior to practicing law in New Mexico, Pat worked as a Legislative Assistant to U.S. Senator Harrison H. Schmitt and was involved in natural resources and telecommunications issues. He also worked as a Land Law Examiner for the Department of the Interior.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1982 (Dean’s List and Law Fellow)
- University of New Mexico, B.A., 1977 (magna cum laude)
- New Mexico State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Federal Circuit Court
- United States Supreme Court
- Over 25 days in court for bench and jury trials in the past year.
- Defended Defamation and False Light claims against publisher and newspaper, jury trial to verdict in June, 2012, Mendoza v. Gallup Independent. Judgement for the Defendent, October 2012.
- Obtained temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against the Superintendent of Insurance, on behalf of New Mexico physician entities. The Superintendent was required to rescind an administrative decision that imperiled the malpractice insurance coverage of the bulk of New Mexico physicians. Haynes and American Physicians Assurance Corporation v. Morris Chavez, Superintendent of the N.M. Dept. of Insurance, 9th Judicial District.
- Obtained Dismissal of Preliminary Injunction and Temporary Restraining Order against David Letterman, Nestler v. Letterman, 1st Judicial District.
- Represented Presidential candidates George Bush, Ralph Nader, Congressman Heather Wilson and Susana Martinez for Governor Committee.
- Represented neighborhood association in Paseo del Norte highway construction, Sage Council v. City of Albuquerque, 2nd Judicial District.
- Successfully arbitrated a significant business dispute, Shaw v. Moreau.
- New Mexico section of Open Government Guide (previously titled Tapping Officials’ Secrets) published by Reporters Committee on Freedom of the Press, 3rd Ed. 1997, 4th Ed. 2001, 5th Ed. 2006, and 6th Ed. (co-authored with Christina C. Sheehan) 2011
- "New Mexico Reporters Handbook on Media Law," New Mexico Press Association, 2001 (co-authored with R. E. Thompson)